We’re in the second week of the new year and many are already struggling to stay on track with fitness resolutions. The Fit & Happier Blog is here to help with the Small Steps Series.
January’s Small Step is portion control and this week’s fitness tips are all about helping you plan and make meals and snacks that are filling, delicious, varied in essential nutrients and in the proper amounts.
One of the biggest obstacles to keeping food consumption in the correct proportion is lack of time. Our ultra-busy lives often cause us to make poor choices about what and how much we eat. Either we opt for over-sized restaurant and take-out meals or we throw together whatever is quickest and convenient, which tends to be highly processed (a.k.a. calorie-rich and nutrient-poor). Pitfall number two is, in these moments, we also tend to be famished – a scientifically proven recipe for choosing the wrong foods and eating too much of them.
The antidote to this is having nutritious and filling foods at the ready. A little planning, shopping and making ahead goes a long way to help you make better choices and keep the portions in the correct amounts. Here are some ways to make this happen:
- “32 Lunches Under 400 Calories” from Popsugar Fitness
- “Chew On This: Healthy Frozen Meals” from Fitness Magazine
- “Shop Once, Eat for a Week” from Shape
- Greatist has this quartet of quick & easy portion control gems:
- “31 Healthy Meals Made in 10 Minutes or Less”
- “5-Ingredient Healthy Dinners”
- “32 High Fiber, Quick Breakfasts”
- “29 Make Ahead to Keep in the Freezer Meals”
- My posts on Fit Food Shopping & Stocking a Healthy Pantry
Mastering portion control is less about willpower and more about learning to think ahead and to be more efficient when it comes to food. The more you practice these techniques, the quicker you can adapt. Eventually, it becomes second nature.
Keep practicing these portion control strategies throughout the rest of this month. Then tune in the first Monday in February to learn the next Small Step to a fitter, happier you.